Monday, March 18, 2019

Slice of Life Day 16: the flood



This was a weird morning.

Around noon I walked out of my house to catch the sight of an ocean sparkling back at me. That wasn't right. I was pretty sure it was usually just a road that belonged there. Lifting my sunglasses did nothing to shake this strange mirage and instead caused a sudden jolt of panic. This was from the Willamette River overflowing! All of downtown was completely under water! The world was ending and I slept through it! A moment more for my brain to wake up and I realized that the scene was littered with looky-loos and firefighters wading aimlessly through the current. That hardly seemed the scene of an apocalypse. A friendly neighbor took that moment to inform me that a water main had burst and was currently spilling into the streets at a rate of one million gallons per minute. We didn't have any electricity and water pressure/ existence was going to be touchy for the foreseeable future. I knew exactly what I needed to do.

I hopped in my car and drove directly to my mom's house. Fortunately, the back road was not flooded so I was able to escape without incident and make it to her place in record time. We took a beautiful sunny walk through the neighborhood to arrive at the cafe where her art is currently on display. We got mimosas and breakfast and talked about how beautiful the world is even though its really a crock of shit sometimes. Then we went north for some shopping and I got the worlds sparkliest pair of ballet flats that I can't wait to wear for the rest of my life. I was home by 6pm just in time for the power to be turned back on and for me to lay down for a much-needed nap. The perfect response to a disaster. Thanks Mom <3.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great slice! I feel like I was there in the midst of the ocean with you and then shopping with my mom. So nice.

    ReplyDelete