Monday, July 1, 2019

No Social Media Day 1: mental breakdown


I guess it's actually rather fitting to start my lifestyle changing challenge with a mental breakdown. It further outlines my need for such a challenge and presents the potential for a nice character arc throughout the month. Also there's nothing better than a good mental breakdown to remind you that you're alive. So here I am, living.

My "Miracle Morning" turned into more of a "Salvage Afternoon". I finally fell asleep around 7am this morning after a night of no sleep. At 3pm I managed to peel myself out of bed and do some compulsive cleaning. I did these chores in silence and without tools so I considered it my meditation and physical exercise for the morning. The coffee shop next door provided my "brunch" at 5pm and now I'm completing my daily writing. I think I'll re-attempt my daily affirmations and mental rehearsal after this.

Despite these setbacks and obvious failure (happy accident, maybe?) I am not discouraged about my commitment to finish this challenge. This morning I watched one Instagram story and glanced at my FB notification menu but didn't click on anything. Youtube remains untouched. I'll give myself an A for effort in trying to body slam this wayward train back on track. This is a bump, not a derailment. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. First Attempt In Learning. You had an excellent F.A.I.L. keep at it. The only time you truly fail is when you stop trying. I use these phrases a lot to help me push through rough times. I hope it helps you too. We believe in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a concept of "ahimsa?" Gentle loving kindness, that starts with yourself. It takes a lot of energy to judge yourself and beat yourself up, and that energy is better used in living well. I applaud your upward struggle... up is hard, down is easy. Luck . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaking up your routine is a great way to break habits, so it's a perfect start!

    ReplyDelete