Monday, March 27, 2017

Poseur


This is the first story I've ever written.



If I can do math correctly, I was seven years old when I wrote this. Please forgive the formatting, this was my first time using a word processor and I had just discovered the wonderful world of  fonts! Now, you could look at this story in one of two ways. The first way might be, "Wow, what a load of crap that was! Is she kidding? Does she even know what a sentence is? What a loser!" or something like that. OR maybe you look at it this way, "Aw, look how cute she is! She's just a little tiny beginner and is trying something new. Keep at, little guy you'll get there some day!"

See, I had the good fortune to have a mom that used to talk sense into me when I was a kid. Around about middle school it was the cool thing to do to call someone a "poser". As in, "did you see Bobby try to skateboard today wearing those Converse? Wow, what a poser!" And of course, I would bring this sort of sentiment with me when driving home from school with my mom. Fortunately, this is the moment when she would scoff and say, "Please, you're all posers." And I would probably respond with something really mature like, "I beg your pardon?" at which point she would explain to me, "Everybody is a poser in middle school. You're all just trying new things and figuring out what you like to do. You don't just wake up one day and suddenly you're good at something. Those kids who are out there messing around will actually become those things some day if they stick to it. So why would you make fun of them while they're still learning?" Obviously this is not a direct quote but an approximation of the sentiment that she was expressing at the time. Also she was probably simultaneously ruining my life because that's what your parents do when you're a preteen.

But here's the takeaway: it's easy to feel scared about trying something new- especially when your new hobby is in a public format (which means every time I completely shit the bed you guys get front row seats!). And it would be so easy to let that stop me from what I'm doing, to put this project on the shelf and to pick it back up when I'm "better" at it. Or to let the comparison between what I'm doing and what better writers are doing make me feel like there isn't a place in this world for my writing. But you know what? This is my journey and I'm sticking to it. There are people out there who are better, and wiser and cleverer than me, and there always will be, but they aren't me- and that's what I have to bring to the table. I have a voice and opinions and a point of view that is unique only to me and I am happy, no thrilled, to share them with you. And who knows maybe someday, many years from now, I'll finally produce something to be really proud of and I can thank each of you for being there with me from the very beginning <3.

Also- I want to let you guys know that I spared you this really stupid tree/ sapling/ acorn metaphor that was just a real steaming pile of garbage. So, uh, you're welcome.

12 comments:

  1. Love it. I think I was still learning to read when I was seven, so to me you seem very precocious in that piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is, "and tats the end of the story"

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOO I want the pile of garbage metaphors! Thats what they are there for to learn from! I see Juli do it and then I say I wont be doing that and I am sure you reread it and go oh crap wont be doing that again! .... well okay maybe it is a sign of your inner writer growing that you didn't put it on the page... who knows... I always struggle with editing myself to pieces or just letting it flow. Am I a better writer that I know not to write that or am I just stunting myself? Such a dilemma!

    Also I really see Juli in your story even at seven! "Medi care " that is the best thing ever! ALso I am seeing a chicken theme here... hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like, really bad. There was a Walt Whitman quote and everything. Trust me, you were spared on this day. :)

      Yeah apparently chickens are my thing? Who knew?

      Delete
  4. You go girl! You're already so amazing at so many things. Not only could you write the script you could play in the orchestra, act the parts singing or talking. Do set design, place props, direct and probably usher to some stuck up muckity mucks to their seats all with a believable smile on. You always have been my inspiration whether it be Buns of Steel on VHS, traveling to new places or even scarier self-reflection and daring to believe in myself. I believe in you 100%, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well I hope to live up to even a portion of those things. And don't underestimate my ability to be passive aggressive towards the social elite. Lol, can't wait to do Buns of Steel with you again in the future!

      Delete
    2. I listed those things because they are all things you've already accomplished and were great at. So stay strong and lean on us when you can't be. That's what friends are for. That and lots of fun.

      Delete
  5. I vaguely remember saying that to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. King size... bahaha that's how you know I REALLY like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure those were the first king sized candies I'd ever received in my life. :D

      Delete