Tuesday, January 9, 2018

social justice


When shit gets personal.

My phone was stolen the other day- right out of my pocket. I gave a stranger ten dollars, received a hug and a kiss on the head, and then several blocks later realized that my phone was missing. (But he told me I had pretty eyes!) The next morning I logged in to google and I could see exactly on the map where my phone had ended up- it was in the projects near my old neighborhood. I could picture his face, I remembered what his voice was like and the things he was wearing, I could recall the things he said to me that might lend further information about his past and his situation. I didn't do anything about it.

I had consulted several people with different ideas about how to handle the matter. Going to the police was one option. Another was to assemble my meanest posse and break down his door. A third option was to post flyers warning about this prowler or follow around him one day in order to catch him in the act (ah-ha!). There was even one person who suggested trying to get to know him to see if he was interested in rehabilitation programs that would reintegrate him as a productive member of society. So many options. So many ways to try and bring "justice" to this pick-pocketing fellow.

I ran into him again a few nights later. He complimented me as he swerved around to ask for money, and despite looking him straight in the face, he didn't even recognize me. How many tiny, mohawk toting females had he finagled over the last few days that I didn't even stand out in his memory? Anyway, I didn't do anything. Again. I bid him a good night and walked home in a fog of astonishment. And then settled in for the night to read a book in my nice, cozy bed.

But here's my question: What was I supposed to do? 

  1. He's bigger than me
  2. He's older than me
  3. He's tougher than me
  4. He's got more street smarts than I will ever possess
  5. He's been in jail for 20 years (if you can believe him)
  6. He has very likely been systematically oppressed and fucked over his whole life
  7. Okay the law is technically on my side but what do they care about petty theft in a city full actual crimes that need to be dealt with?
It just made me realize something; I didn't want to do anything. I'm not interested in doling out justice. I want people to be responsible for their own good actions and choices and stay far away from me when they can't be. I realize this is a fantasy world but so far, I've been able to live in it. I think the term I'm looking for is "sheltered". It's a privilege, but boy if it isn't the comfiest damn thing.

Some of you will scoff at me. I'm not saying I don't deserve it. I'm sitting on my throne of safety while for others this is a way of life- and worse. But I'm hoping that maybe it takes more than one type of person to make this world a better place. Can't I just "be the change" without getting my hands dirty? Can't I just sit back and let other people deal with it if they become his next victim? Most of me says yes. But my conscience says no. So what do I do? Seriously. I'm asking. Cause I have no idea. What would you do?

5 comments:

  1. I would report it stolen to your phone company and move on if that's what feels right to you. I'm sorry you were robbed, but I'm very glad you didn't get hurt. Carry a knife or mace or a gun if you aren't opposed to them. Bigger doesn't matter if you're armed. I love you. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second reporting it. To both the company and filing a police report. If the police pick this guy up for more theft the more the DA has on him the more likely they are to prosecute. Also, if he has been in prison and was recently released he is most likely still on parole and violation would put him back in jail. Even if he has been under privileged his whole life his current hell is one of his own making. He just needs to not break the law. Rich or poor it was his actions that got him in trouble not your's. And reporting law breakers is a civic duty. See something, say something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are both awesome, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going through similar stuff when I lived in Texas, but decided to not get a weapon because I realized that I was safe, just my stuff wasn't. It was a bad idea for me to escalate the situation. The police were oh so no help, but it was quite different there, maybe. I'm not suited as a person to carry a weapon, ironic huh? I wrote a silly story about some of the less practical problems with me having a weapon and it captures my feelings, to a degree.
    http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/fantasy/death-of-a-butterfly.aspx

    ReplyDelete